Checklist for an Ideal Green Home:
- Builder: Ensure you buy a property or apartment from builder or developer who has his expertise in building green homes and has a valid certification for the same i.e LEED and IGBC certified
- Green Building Materials: The materials used vary from one region to another, However, you must observe whether these materials are easy to obtain within the vicinity or does one need .
- Insulation: being heated by the sun during morning and evening hours.
- Windows and Doors: Natural cooling and heating: Ensure that the builder has taken into consideration the advantage of winds for natural cooling in summer and heating in winter. Properly positioned windows will prevent your home being heated by the sun during morning and evening hours.
- Energy Efficiency: Use appliances that decrease the use of electricity by using solar lights and other substitute sources. Ensure appliances used have energy star ratings
- Renewable Energy: Using solar energy is a very important part of all green projects. Solar heaters, lights and cookers are essential parts of the construction plan
- Waste management and saving water: Builder should use green principles such as water harvesting and waste management in their projects.